Australia and Japan Join Other Nations in Halting Certain Parcel Shipments to the US

Australia NewsAustralia News
Australia and Japan Join Other Nations in Halting Certain Parcel Shipments to the US
Australia and Japan are the latest countries to curb US postal services for items under $800.

Australia and Japan have joined the list of countries stopping parcel shipments to the US after the US President took action to end the duty-free entry of parcels under $800. Australia Post has implemented “a temporary partial suspension” as the “de minimis” exemption expires on Friday.

Australia Post said Tuesday it was “disappointed” but the decision was required “due to the complex and rapidly evolving situation”.


Shipping packages to the US and Puerto Rico after Tuesday will be rejected until further notice, the USPS warned. Gifts under $100, letters, and documents are unaffected.

To restart US services shortly, Australia Post said it would engage with US and Australian authorities and international postal partners.

Monday, Japan Post announced the suspension of some parcel shipments.

Japan Post stated transportation and postal operator protocols were “not clear”, making implementation challenging.

Australian public broadcaster ABC reported that several Australian manufacturers have ceased shipments, while shipping software provider Shippit saw a drop in US shipments from Australia before the new regulations.

According to the ABC, Shippit CEO Rob Hango-Zada claimed outbound exports from Australia to the US have dropped 36% since April.

The statements from Australia and Japan follow those from Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Italy, France, Austria, and the UK last week.

Royal Mail said it would stop US shipments on Tuesday to allow parcels to arrive before additional levies take effect.

"Key questions remain unresolved, particularly regarding how and by whom customs duties will be collected in the future, what additional data will be needed, and how data will be transmitted to the US Customs and Border Protection," DHL, Europe's largest shipping provider, said.

Trump has unleashed a wave of tariffs on US imports since taking office in January.

Changes in Trump's tariffs, which vary by country and sometimes by commodity, have confused postal operators.

Shein, Temu, and others used the “de minimis” exception with China and Hong Kong to ship duty-free before Trump revoked it on May 2.

Trump's tax and spending bill eliminated the global "de minimis" exemption on July 1, 2027.

Mail-shipped goods will now pay a “ad valorem duty” equal to the package's nation of origin or, for six months, a particular tariff of $80 to $200, depending on the country's tariff rate.