Barcelona Player Performances against Antwerp: Embrace the Joao Felix Spectacle! Portuguese Sensation Shines Once More in a Comfortable Champions League Opener
Atletico Madrid's loanee delivered a masterclass, bagging a brace and providing an assist as Barcelona cruised to a commanding 5-0 victory over the Belgian champions, Antwerp, in their inaugural 2023-24 Champions League encounter.
The Blaugrana's campaign kicked off in impressive fashion, thanks to Joao Felix's scintillating performance. The Portuguese sensation ignited the scoring by netting the opener with a cleverly placed finish and orchestrated another goal before halftime, delivering a sumptuous cross that allowed Robert Lewandowski to volley home.
Barcelona's third goal came in an unconventional manner, with Raphinha's cross inadvertently deflected into the net by Antwerp defender Jelle Bataille. After the break, Gavi added a fourth with a powerful top-corner strike as the Catalan giants effortlessly sliced through the Antwerp defense.
Felix then capped off his exceptional display with a sublime header from Raphinha's cross to make it 5-0, adding a finishing touch to his remarkable performance.
Goalkeeper & Defense
- Marc-Andre ter Stegen (6/10): Had a relatively quiet night except for a superb double-save in the second half.
- Joao Cancelo (7/10): Excelled in pushing forward into the final third, displayed clever distribution, and contributed to midfield play.
- Jules Kounde (6/10): Handled defensive duties comfortably and occasionally ventured into the opposition's half.
- Andreas Christensen (6/10): Remained composed and in control in defense, efficiently distributing the ball.
- Alejandro Balde (6/10): Acted as a left winger at times and had a chance in the first half, though it was one of his quieter outings in a Barcelona shirt.
- Ilkay Gundogan (7/10): Displayed elegance in passing, set up Felix for the opener, and was effective in ball recovery.
- Frenkie de Jong (8/10): Played a pivotal role in Lewandowski's goal buildup, dominated midfield play, and consistently created opportunities.
- Gavi (7/10): Scored Barcelona's fourth with a powerful top-corner finish.
- Raphinha (8/10): Played a significant role in Barca's third goal and delivered a crucial cross for Felix's second goal.
- Robert Lewandowski (6/10): Played a part in Felix's goal and scored the second, although he missed a late one-on-one opportunity.
- Joao Felix (10/10): Delivered a stunning display, scoring, assisting, and making every touch count.
Subs & Manager
- Oriol Romeu (6/10): Replaced De Jong and maintained control in midfield.
- Fermin Lopez (6/10): Came on for Gavi, kept it simple with the ball, and performed well.
- Lamine Yamal (7/10): Replaced Felix, displayed liveliness on the ball, and had a chance to score.
- Ferran Torres (6/10): Substituted Raphinha, nearly scoring with his first touch but not as effective as his predecessor.
- Sergi Roberto (6/10): Entered for Joao Cancelo and effectively saw out the game at right-back.
- Xavi (7/10): Managed the team sensibly, rotating some first-team players ahead of the upcoming La Liga fixtures, securing a comfortable and stylish victory.